11/1/15 – Just a little bit spesh

Got up and pottered around a bit to get ready, but we all convened and went down for breakfast. I had the full breakfast again and since I had more time this morning I was able to fully utilise the help-yourself-to-other-things. So I had yoghurt with some jam and a few pieces of toast. They even had Marmite! Win. I’m definitely a love-it kinda girl. We had to wait for the oldies to get ready again so Sar came to chill in our room for a little bit with us. We saw some old school episodes of The Bill on telly and all had a laugh over some guy with a massive conk. I mean seriously, it was huge.

We went for a walk along the front of the hotel and then headed into town. It was pretty dull to be honest. It seems to be a bit of a backwards, old-fashioned town in that loads of places close on Sundays. Everything was mostly big chain places too – not necessarily cute, novel little shops like you’d expect. So I found myself getting dragged into places like H&M and Bon Marche. Good god, I could do this at home and at least find excuses to get out of it. I really don’t do clothes shops. I did manage to find a cute little narwhal teddy in one of the card shops though. Since when do you ever find narwhal anything?! Obviously I had to buy him. I may call him Jeff.

We stopped in a café for a quick drink, then wandered back down onto the harbour front in search of food. Had cheesy chips at a place called Chandler’s Chippy! Group approval for the name. Whilst the oldies were still sat nattering we went next door to the arcade and spent a few quid on the 2p falls. Didn’t really win anything but it was fun and highly addictive. Walked even further down the harbour and finally got my whippy ice cream that I’d been craving. Something about the sea just always makes me want ice cream – no matter the temperature. It did start to get freezing cold then though so me and Kel decided to head back, leaving the others to check out some department shop they’d seen earlier and wanted to check out.

When the others got back we reconvened in Mom and Auntie Helena’s room and had a bit of a mini picnic of cakes and chocolates (I had a cheeky Red Bull too). We also played silly buggers trying to fit four of us in one of the single beds. We’re such a spesh family. Me and Sar then decided it was time to go for a swim. I had a bit of a trauma over my lovely nautical bikini not fitting me anymore, which is like a double-edged sword really. Yay that I’ve lost that much weight, but boo because it cost me nearly thirty quid. The pool was pretty damn cold but we warmed up by doing our own version of aqua aerobics, playing with the foam noodles and having weird races like only being able to swim with one arm and one leg. The lift then decided not to work when we wanted to come back up, so we had to scale four flights of stairs in our towels. Awkward.

There were four in the bed and the little one said there's no bloody room to roll over!

There were four in the bed and the little one said there’s no bloody room to roll over!

Getting ready for tea was slowed down by the fact that we discovered Aladdin was on telly. Totally in my top ten favourite Disney films! I had “hail the conquering hero” as my text tone for god knows how long. Went down for tea and it was all lovely food once again – actually our best meal all round. I had the sense to save at least half of my bread roll for my tomato soup this time. We had roast chicken for main with roast and baby potatoes (also veg but of course I skipped those). Then pudding was a strawberry, blackberry and raspberry mousse on a soft biscuit base with cream. I’m really big on cream and mousse type sweets, so that was to die for!

Migrated into the ballroom for our now traditional and last rounds of bingo to find Terry and Maggie waiting for us. New friends! Still didn’t win at bingo, sad times. Also had our last fun with quacking, sad times again. As a bonus round we were given sheets with pictures of different road signs and had to name them all. None of our group did very well at it. It’s terrible really when most of us are drivers!

After all that was simulated horse races, which was lame but fun. I had Long Put out of Fourth Tee, Flash in the Pan by No Hope and Bolt out the Blue. Sar won four squids on the first round, Mom won eight on the second and Auntie Ann won three on the third. Bolt out the Blue was actually winning for most of the last race but then just disappeared at the end, boo! All the winnings went into the kitty to be split amongst all of us, so overall we won most of our money back bar three pound. I can live with that!

We sat chatting for a while and had some more drinks, before we started returning to the rooms one by one. Kel was already in bed watching Not Another Teen Movie when I got back so I pottered about packing everything that I wouldn’t need in the morning so that we could leave our cases outside. For some reason the hotel insist on putting your cases onto the coach for you – you’re not allowed to do it yourself – but for that they need you to have them outside your rooms at seven in the morning. Pfft. We took our chances with leaving them outside all night and having the extra hour in bed. Priorities, yo.

My god, we actually look like we’re really enjoying bingo. Quack.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s